The Top Trending Videos, Podcasts, Songs and Artists of 2020 in Canada
From Drake’s viral Toosie Slide dance to Justin Trudeau’s “moistly” comments, here’s what dominated the internet this year.
It’s the last month of the year, and you know what that means. It’s when we start looking back at the time gone by, and the pop culture moments that defined the year. From Drake’s viral Toosie Slide dance to Justin Trudeau’s “moistly” comments, there was a lot that dominated the internet this year. (And in a year of social distancing, it helped us all feel connected.) Read on for the top trending videos, songs, podcasts and artists of 2020 in Canada.
Top Trending Videos
YouTube’s Top Trending video list offers a look back at the biggest creators, moments and videos of the year. The #1 spot went to former NASA engineer Mark Rober, who demonstrated via an eight-part series how to create a squirrel-proof bird feeder. A remix of Justin Trudeau’s “speaking moistly” comments took the #3 spot, with Dave Chapelle, Paris Hilton and 10-year-old America’s Got Talent contestant Roberta Battaglia also making the Top 10 list.
1. Mark Rober, Building the Perfect Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
2. Dream, Minecraft Speedrunner VS 3 Hunters GRAND FINALE
3. Anonymotif, Justin Trudeau Sings “Speaking Moistly”
4. Netflix is a Joke, 8:46 – Dave Chappelle
5. NikkieTutorials, I’m Coming Out.
6. America’s Got Talent, Golden Buzzer: 10-Year-Old Roberta Battaglia Sings Lady Gaga’s “Shallow” – America’s Got Talent 2020
7. MrBeast, $250,000 Influencer Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament
8. JeffreeStar, We Broke Up.
9. Dude Perfect, Quarantine Stereotypes
10. Paris Hilton, The Real Story of Paris Hilton | This is Paris Official Documentary
Top Music Videos
2020 was the Year of Justin Bieber and Drake, with both musicians releasing multiple chart-topping hits. Music videos for two of Bieber’s singles—Yummy and Intentions—made it to the Top 10 list, while Drake had three music videos on the list this year: Life is Good (at the #1 spot), Toosie Slide and Laugh Now, Cry Later.
1. Future, Life is Good ft. Drake
2. Tekashi 6ix9ine, Gooba
3. Justin Bieber, Yummy
4. Eminem, Godzilla ft. Juice WRLD
5. Sidhu Moose Wala, Old Skool
6. Cardi B, WAP ft. Megan Thee Stallion
7. Drake, Toosie Slide
8. DaBaby, ROCKSTAR ft Roddy Ricch
9. Justin Bieber, Intentions ft. Quavo
10. Drake, Laugh Now, Cry Later
Podcasts that appear on both Spotify and Apple’s year-end lists are Call Her Daddy, a sex advice and comedy podcast, and Stuff You Should Know, a podcast hosted by two former senior editors at HowStuffWorks.com. Other shows that made the Top 10 list of most-listened-to podcasts in 2020 include New York Times’ The Daily, The Michelle Obama Podcast, and CBC’s Uncover podcast.
Spotify’s Top Trending Podcasts of 2020 in Canada
The Joe Rogan Experience
Call Her Daddy
TED Talks Daily
The Michelle Obama Podcast
Stuff You Should Know
Apple’s Top Trending Podcasts of 2020 in Canada
Call Her Daddy
The Daily (The New York Times)
Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard
Canadian True Crime
Stuff You Should Know
This American Life
Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations
Uncover (CBC Podcasts)
Spotify has unveiled the top artists, albums, songs and playlists that dominated their platform this year. Unsurprisingly, Drake, The Weeknd, Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish took the top spots on the Canadian charts, with The Weeknd’s single “Blinding Lights” topping charts as the most-streamed song in Canada and globally. Read on for the artists, songs and albums most-listened to by Canadians in 2020.
Most-Streamed Female Artists
“Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd
“The Box” by Roddy Ricch
“Roses – Imanbek Remix” by Imanbek, SAINt JHN
“Dance Monkey” by Tones and I
“ROCKSTAR (feat Roddy Ricch)” by DaBaby, Roddy Ricch
Shoot For The Stars Aim For The Moon, Pop Smoke
After Hours, The Weeknd
Hollywood’s Bleeding, Post Malone
Legends Never Die, Juice WRLD
Eternal Atake (Deluxe) – LUV vs. The World 2, Lil Uzi Vert